Sunday, June 5, 2011

The journey continues

It's now only 4 weeks to the Gold Coast half marathon. My training has gone well by sticking (mostly) to the plan and I have been very fortunate by not sustaining any injuries - that's one club I do NOT want to join. Sorry to all those who have been struggling, it must be tough.

I should be doing runs of some description 3 days a week, but I tend to do 3 solid runs plus a boxing session once a week to really kick butt (or the bag) - love it. My weights sessions have really fallen by the wayside, so I will try and get back into them again this week.

Today was a huge achievement for me, running for 2 whole hours. Lefty drove me over to Redcliffe and I ran along the beach the whole way. SO much nicer than trudging around the streets at home, with a nice gentle breeze to keep me cool. Speaking of keeping cool I have decided it was definitely dehydration/mega sweats that was causing my terrible tummy cramps post long runs. I still get a bit painy but certainly not in a debilitating way. I have also started using gels with the long runs which is interesting in itself (swallowing thick sticky glug while trying to breath and force it down with some water, while trying to breath!)

Lefty had his books to read in the car and he kept driving down and parking in sections long the way which was quite funny. Poor Lefty wishes he could be running with me but his knees are shot from all the running and footy playing he did in his 20s. It's just so weird that its me running now, at such an age.

2 weeks ago I ran in a similar place with Maddi and her ironman Dan. That was really cool - Dan was very supportive, encouraging and informative. It's great to learn from real athletes (better late than never!). Maddi really fired that day with a big surge at the end (AND she had bleeding toes), whereas I fell flat at the end and got all uptight and anxious, struggling to put one foot in front of the other....the thought of running for another 5ks to make it 21 just seemed all too much. I hadn't felt all tight in the throat and chest like that for a long time and it freaked me out a bit, like a big step backwards.

I'm just so relieved that I truly believe I can do this now and I may even finish under 2:15! I am going to register with a pacer when I pick up my pack in a few weeks, which I hope is a good thing to do?

Kirsty has made up some great singlets for all the 12wbt/Twitterers who are running in the GC 1/2 and full mara which is really cool. I can't wait to see everyone - and there are a few I haven't had the chance to meet in real life yet! 

Oh - and there was that wonderful weekend in Melbourne! 




1 comment:

  1. Jules your running has come along so well, congrats on adhering to the program and congrats on your brilliant run today. My run was freezing this afternoon and I am feeling a little bloaty, didn't run with water like I usually do so will get some more into me tonight.
    You're a real inspiration mate. I love that you haven't let the fact that you didn't run in your twenties stop you from being so successful now. You're a wonderful role model to your girls and I look forward to running with you in the future.

    xx Jenn xx

    ReplyDelete